Thursday, May 15, 2008

The First of Many

Mommy and Princess J

When you become a mommy you get the joy of experiencing all of your child's "firsts". Most of these are a joyous and will bring a tear to your eye because your baby is growing up. As a mommy, I have realized that my days of being selfish are over and that everything I do now revolves around Jaelynn. However...one day a year....mom's can be selfish and not feel guilty. That wonderful day is Mother's Day!

My first Mother's Day was perfect! It actually started Saturday when Kevin, who is terrible about holding onto gifts, handed me a card from Jaelynn. Inside was the best gift...a 1 hour full body massage. This momma needs that!

Mother's Day dawned bright and early....6:30 am to be exact! But instead of dragging myself out of bed to change a diaper and fix a bottle, Kevin got up! He took care of Jaelynn and brought her back to bed and we all fell back asleep for a couple more hours. I got the pleasure of waking up to my daughter touching my face and smiling at me. After a quick bath, Jaelynn and I were sitting in her room chatting and Kevin came back upstairs...armed with coffee and toast for me! He told me to get back in bed and have my breakfast. Let me tell you...this man makes a mean cup of coffee!

So, our original plan was to go to the zoo. However, Iowa weather threw us another curve ball and it was too cool to go to the zoo. I was bummed out but not for long. My mom came up to spend the day with us and that always makes me happy. Mom, Jaelynn and I decided to head to Des Moines for lunch and a little light shopping. Another highlight of the day was purchasing a much needed new grill and having Kevin's family over for dinner.

All in all my first Mother's Day was perfect. I can't wait until Jaelynn is old enough to make me cards herself and bring me burnt toast in bed. I know that she didn't fully understand why Sunday was so special to me or why I kept tearing up but one day she will. However, Kevin did a wonderful job of filling in for her until she is older. He made me feel special all day! I'm already starting to plan Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment